The vision of Project Main Street is to alleviate issues of poverty, unemployment and environmental degradation in Newark, Ohio by creating a stronger sense of community via a green job training and environmental literacy education program. Our first step in this process was the creation of The Sparta, a coffee shop in downtown Newark which provides premium fresh roasted coffee, locally sourced, high-quality food items from Project Main Street Grows, and exceptional service. We are currently running a garden with local teens to help us grow healthy food for Newark, train citizens for agricultural jobs, donate produce to local charities, and sell our products to make money to fund the entire program. Utilizing the philosophy of social entrepreneurism, Project Main Street strives to achieve the following goals and objectives to grow the organization and our community as whole:
- Offer a service to the community by providing a quality product with superior service in a warm and welcoming environment.
- Create a business that will provide job training to community members in poverty so that they can learn to develop the competencies and soft skills needed to become successful in work, relationships, their community, and in life.
- Establish a comfortable, welcoming, and accessible location that will become a downtown hub for human resource development and for the work of compassion in action being carried out in Licking County, as well as a meeting place, or "third place," for the community.
- Build a vision for doing business with purpose that will serve as a model for other social entrepreneur businesses to follow and to create an incubator to follow the model.
- Create a collaborative effort between local businesses, social organizations, faith-based groups, and citizens of all types to address the needs of the community and work together to find solutions and improve the quality of life for everyone in Licking County.